Southern-style pork and beans
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
A simple but generous vegetable and pork dish that’s rich in fibre and flavour. We temper the chilli heat with fat-free Greek yogurt. With a GI of 39 this meal is <a href=_http_/www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/high-protein_low-gi_recipes__high.html protein, low GI</a> and provides 322 kcal per portion.
Spray a large, wide-based saucepan with cooking spray and fry the onion over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
Add the pork and gammon, season with pepper and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the garlic, paprika and chilli powder and cook for a few seconds, stirring. Tip the tomatoes and beans into the pan, and stir in the tomato purée and mustard. Pour over the stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender and cooked through and the sauce is thick. Season to taste and stir in half the parsley. Sprinkle the rest over just before serving. Serve with the yoghurt.
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, sliced
- 250g/9oz pork tenderloin fillet, all visible fat removed, cut into 2cm/1in pieces
- 150g/5½oz gammon steak, all visible fat removed, cut into 2cm/1in pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp prepared English mustard
- 400ml/14fl oz pork or chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 3 heaped tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley, to garnish
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt or fromage frais, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes