Slow cooker chickpea tagine
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
This healthy and comforting tagine is packed with flavour and delicious served over simple couscous or crisp baked potatoes. Each serving provides 310kcal, 6g protein, 46g carbohydrate (of which 31g sugars), 9g fat (of which 1.5g saturates), 9g fibre and 0.7g salt.
Place the chickpeas, pepper, onion, squash, courgettes and apricots into a slow cooker and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the garlic and spices until fragrant, about one minute. Add the passata, honey and harissa, then bring to a boil.
Pour the sauce over the vegetables, cover with the lid and cook on high for four hours.
Season to taste with plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tear in most of the mint or coriander leaves, stir through, then scatter the remaining leaves over the top. Drizzle with a little more oil and honey, then top with spoonfuls of yoghurt. Serve with couscous.
- 400g/14oz can chickpeas in water, rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 courgettes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 dried apricots
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500g/1lb 2oz carton passata
- 2 tsp honey, plus a drizzle to serve
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- handful fresh mint or coriander
- thick Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes