Mexican bean stew
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
A simple, vegetarian, spiced bean stew makes a quick and filling midweek dinner. With a GI of 52 this meal is <a href=_http_/www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/high-protein_low-gi_recipes__high.html protein, low GI</a> and provides 492 kcal per portion.
Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for three minutes, stirring regularly. Add the pepper and cook for two minutes.
Stir in the spices and cook for a few seconds, then add the tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed beans. Pour over 300ml/10fl oz cold water and bring to a gentle simmer. Season with a little salt and lots of ground black pepper and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
Meanwhile half-fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the rice and return to the boil. Cook for 25 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
To make the salsa, mix the tomato, coriander and spring onions together in a bowl.
Drain the rice and divide between two plates. Spoon the beans over and scatter with the salsa. Serve with the yoghurt and lime wedges.
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm/1in chunks
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 125g/4½oz wholegrain long-grain rice, to serve
- 100g/3½oz fat-free Greek yoghurt, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped freshly coriander
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes