Hearty vegetable soup
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
This hearty vegetable soup is packed full of flavor and goodness, perfect to warm you up on a cold night. If eating on a restricted day of an intermittent diet, replace the carrots with deseeded yellow peppers. As part of an <a href=_http_/www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/intermittent_dieting_recipes__Intermittent.html diet</a> plan, 1 serving provides: Your daily salty food 3 of your 5 daily vegetable portions This meal provides 219 kcal per portion.
Spray a large non-stick saucepan with oil and cook the onion, garlic, celery and carrots or peppers gently for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until softened.
Add 750ml/26fl oz water and the chopped tomatoes. Crumble over the stock cube and stir in the dried herbs. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper and add the spring greens and butterbeans. Return to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the greens are softened. Season to taste and serve in deep bowls.
- calorie controlled cooking oil spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots or 2 yellow peppers, cut into 2cm/1in chunks
- 400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g/14oz tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head young spring greens (approximately 125g/4½oz), trimmed and sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes