Spinach, aubergine and chickpea curry
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
This delicious vegetarian curry is packed full of flavour and is ready in less than 30 minutes. This meal provides 251 kcal, 13g protein, 8.3g carbohydrate (of which 11.6g sugars), 15.9g fat (of which 2.1g saturates), 13.5g fibre and 1.2g salt per portion.
Cook the spinach in boiling water for two minutes, then cool it under cold running water and squeeze gently to remove most of the liquid. Place in a food processor and chop the spinach to a coarse purée.
Heat half the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion, chickpeas, garlic, chilli and spices for five minutes over a medium heat.
Add the remaining olive oil and the aubergine. Cook for ten minutes, stirring often, until the aubergine is coloured.
Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt, then cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the aubergine is soft. Stir in the spinach purée and serve.
- 1kg/2¼lb fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 200g/7oz tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 fresh hot green chillies, halved and thinly sliced, seeds included
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 large aubergine, approx. 400g/14oz,cut into 2cm (3/4in) dice
- 400g/14oz tinned chopped tomatoes
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes