Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Return to Tuscany
The soffritto is the base for many Tuscan dishes including sauces, soups and casseroles.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the celery, carrot, onion, garlic, rosemary and bay leaves until golden, about 15 minutes.
Remove the rosemary sprig and bay leaves and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use accordingly.
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes