Quick hot and sour noodle soup
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Chinese Food Made Easy
Make your own version of this Chinese restaurant classic, filled out to a generous main course with noodles and chicken.
For the soup base, heat the oil in a wok, then fry the ginger and shiitake mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the chilli, Shaoxing rice wine, vegetable stock, bamboo shoots and the seasonings. Bring to the boil, then add with the cornflour paste, stirring well, until thickened. Keep warm over a low heat.
For the noodle pot, layer the cooked egg noodles, beansprouts, sliced baby corn and spring onions in a plastic pot or serving bowl. Top with shredded chicken, then spoon the soup over the ingredients. Give the noodle pot or bowl a good stir and serve immediately.
For the soup
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 700ml/1 pint 5fl oz vegetable stock
- 220g/8oz canned bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- pinch ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
For the noodle 'pot'
- 200g/7oz cooked egg noodles
- 2 small handfuls beansprouts
- 8 baby sweetcorn, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 100g/3½oz cooked chicken, shredded
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes