Piccalilli with curry spices
Prep time overnight
Cook time overnight
Put all the vegetables into a large bowl and mix together with the salt. Cover and leave overnight.
Drain and rinse the vegetables under running cold water. Dry.
Put ¾ of the vinegar in a large preserving pan and add the spices and vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer until just tender.
Mix the cornflour with the rest of the vinegar and add to the pan. Mix together and simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn into hot sterilised jars, seal and cool.
Store for three months in a cool, dark cupboard before eating.
- 450g/1lb small pickling onions, peeled
- 450g/1lb cauliflower florets
- 450g/1lb runner beans, trimmed and finely sliced
- 450g/1lb cucumber, seeded and cut into 1cm/½in dice
- 450g/1lb pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1cm/½in dice
- 450g/1lb courgette or marrow, cut into 1cm/½in dice
- 450g/1lb salt
- 30g/1oz mustard
- 30g/1oz ground ginger
- 30g/1oz curry powder - mild or hot according to taste
- 15g/½oz ground turmeric
- 30g/1oz black peppercorns
- 1l/1¾pt malt vinegar
- 30g/1oz cornflour
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes