Vietnamese-style crayfish and noodle salad
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Mary Berry's Foolproof Cooking
I adore this light and fresh crayfish salad. Buy the freshest, finest ingredients you can – this dish is all about fresh flavours.
Cook the rice noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions, or until they are al dente, then drain and refresh in cold water. Drain again and snip into shorter lengths.
Using a teaspoon, scoop out the cucumber seeds along the middle of the half and discard. Thinly slice the cucumber on the diagonal and tip into a large salad bowl.
Add all the remaining salad ingredients, including the cooked noodles, season with salt and pepper, and toss together.
For the dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss together. Scatter with the peanuts, if using.
- 200g/7oz extra-fine dried rice noodles
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways
- 150g/5½oz cooked and peeled crayfish tails
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 150g/5½oz beansprouts
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
- ½–1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 3cm/1¼in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30g/1oz salted peanuts, chopped, to serve (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 3 tbsp lime juice (1–2 limes)
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes