Nigel Slater's gazpacho
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Nigel Slater: Eating Together
This simple, refreshing, chilled Spanish soup is perfect on a hot day. Crumbled boiled egg makes a tasty garnish.
Blend most of the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and shallots to a rough purée in a food processor, reserving a couple of chunks of each vegetable for the garnish.
Add the garlic, soaked bread, olive oil and sherry vinegar to the food processor and blend again until smooth, or to a more textured consistency if desired.
Transfer the soup to a jug, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes, or until cold.
Cut the reserved vegetables into small cubes. When ready to serve, pour the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with the vegetables.
- ½ cucumber, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 banana shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 100g/3½oz stale white bread, soaked in a little cold water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes