Mary's classic Caesar salad
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Mary Berry's Absolute Favourites
Making your own croûtons is a great way of using up stale bread. They are perfect in this simple Caesar salad.
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the bread and fry over a high heat for 3–4 minutes until golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and beat together until smooth with 1–2 tablespoons water.
Toss the romaine lettuce in the dressing and scatter with the toasted croûtons and grated Parmesan.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices of day-old white bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, sliced
- 30g/1oz Parmesan cheese, shaved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 6 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes