Fruit salad with long pepper cream
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking
Before chillies arrived from South America, cooks used long pepper. It can still be found from specialist spice suppliers. Be bold – as the cream takes a lot of the heat out of the spice.
Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Mix the spices and vanilla seeds together.
Just before serving, fold the spice mixture into the cream, reserving a little to sprinkle on top for aroma.
Dust with icing sugar, particularly if serving the cream with tart fruit such as plums or cherries.
Serve with summer fruits, peaches, nectarines, plums and/or cherries.
- 1 x 250ml pot of cream (or crème fraiche)
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped from the pod
- 5 long pepper spikes, snapped, cracked and ground
- Mixed fresh fruit, to serve
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes