Fennel sausages braised with lemony potatoes and bay leaves
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes
The perfect sausages for this dish are those from specialist Italian or Continental delicatessens, luganega, which come in one long length. If you are using ordinary sausages, add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to the onions when frying.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Twist the sausages into 7.5cm/3in lengths and separate them into individual sausages.
Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a 26cm/10in shallow flameproof casserole dish. Add the sausages and fry until nicely browned all over. Lift them onto a plate and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic and another tablespoon of oil to the casserole dish and fry until soft and lightly golden. Stir in the potatoes, browned sausages, lemon zest and juice, bay leaves, half the chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon salt and ten turns of the black pepper mill.
Pour over the rest of the oil along with the water, cover tightly with the lid and bake for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Remove the lemon zest and sprinkle with the rest of the parsley before serving.
- 450g/1lb luganega sausages (available from specialist Italian or Continental grocers), or other nice meaty pork chipolatas
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 750g/1½lb small waxy potatoes, peeled and each cut into quarters
- ½ lemon, pared zest and juice only
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120ml/4fl oz water
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes