Chicken tikka masala
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
Slice the chicken breasts into very thin slices and heat the oil in a large frying pan. Once the oil is smoking, add the chicken, onions and garlic and fry for 30 seconds over a fierce heat. Immediately add the ginger, chilli powder, turmeric, coriander and cumin and fry for a further minute.
Stir in the tomato purée and the chopped tomatoes and boil rapidly for five minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
Add the yoghurt and double cream. Return to a low heat, bring to a simmer and then stir in the salt and lime juice. If the curry is too thick at this stage you can add a little water (or chicken stock) to get the correct consistency.
Serve the curry with cooked basmati rice and chopped coriander.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 60ml/2¼fl oz olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz plain full-fat yoghurt
- 100ml/3½fl oz double cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ lime, juice only
- splash water or chicken stock (if necessary)
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
- few sprigs fresh coriander, chopped, for garnish
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes