Chicken fajitas with tomato salsa
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
Fajitas are a fun meal to cook for the family. Try topping with homemade salsa to make them extra delicious. This meal is <a href=_http_/www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/low-calorie_recipes__low.html calorie</a> and provides 418 kcal, 35g protein, 47.5g carbohydrate (of which 11g sugars), 9g fat (of which 3.5g saturates), 8g fibre and 1.2g salt per portion.
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
For the salsa. Combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic and coriander in a bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
For the chicken, heat the oil in a wok or large nonstick frying pan, add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, paprika, chilli powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven for 5 minutes.
Spoon one-quarter of the chicken mixture into the centre of each tortilla, add a couple of tablespoons of salsa and some shredded lettuce. Roll up and serve warm.
For the tomato salsa
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 425g/15oz small vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- large handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken fajitas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 450g/1lb chicken breasts, skinned and cut into thin strips
- pinch paprika
- pinch mild chilli powder
- pinch cumin
- pinch dried oregano
- 4 soft wholemeal tortillas
- ½ iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes