Black bean and avocado salad
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
This simple, hearty salad is a vegan feast packed with chilli, herbs and spices. It’s also gluten-free and dairy-free. This meal provides 549 kcal, 17g protein, 40g carbohydrate (of which 13.5g sugars), 36g fat (of which 6g saturates), 22g fibre and 2g salt per portion.
Put all of the dressing ingredients in a jam jar, replace the lid and shake until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add more chilli if desired.
For the salad, rinse the black beans under cold running water and drain. Put in a large mixing bowl and pour over half of the dressing.
Add the remaining salad ingredients, apart from the watercress and avocado and stir well to combine.
To serve, divide the watercress among 4 serving plates. Spoon the salad on top, then cover with the avocado cubes. Drizzle a little more dressing over each portion.
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 jalapeño peppers (or 1 red chilli), finely chopped, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 3 x 400g tins cooked black beans, drained
- large handful chopped fresh coriander
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped into wedges, seeds removed (or 16 cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1 large red pepper, stalk and seeds removed, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (or 1 small red onion, thinly sliced)
- 200g/7oz fresh watercress, tough stems snipped into half
- 2 large ripe avocados, skin and seeds removed, cut into cubes
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes