Bauble and squeak
Prep time less than 30 mins
Cook time less than 30 mins
From Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
Feel free to vary the ingredients in this Boxing Day bubble and squeak. This is awfully good with a little chutney.
Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the red onion until softened.
Crush the juniper with a mortar and pestle and add to the onions.
When the onions are browning, stir in the remaining ingredients. With a fork, mash the potatoes and pumpkin, distributing it evenly to bind the meat.
Add the Brussels sprouts and cook through for 15 minutes, adding more butter if needed. (If you only have leftover cooked Brussels, you can add these, but cook for about five minutes.)
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 juniper berries
- 200g/7oz leftover goose, torn into pieces
- 200g/7oz leftover ham, torn into pieces
- 200g/7oz leftover roast pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 100g/3½oz leftover stuffing
- 8 leftover roast potatoes, cut into chunks
- 5 rashers leftover bacon, chopped into large pieces
- 6-8 raw Brussels sprouts, halved
This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes